Residency training is a uniquely stressful time. Lack of sleep, high expectations to learn quickly and perform optimally, financial concerns, and efforts to balance time for self and family are some of the tough realities of medical training. The level of competition is high at this stage, and residents may also feel reluctant to seek out help if they are struggling, worrying that it may affect their evaluations or job prospects.
The clinical staff at the PHP is acutely aware of the challenges facing residents. The PHP is connected to PARO, staying current on issues affecting residents and working collaboratively to support residents.
The PHP confidential services are available to all residents in Ontario. Clinical team members are available by phone during OMA business hours to answer questions and assist with a wide variety of concerns. The PHP can offer support in a number of ways including
- Prompt advice and support (callers may remain anonymous)
- Referrals for clinical services, with clinicians experienced in physician health
- A range assessment services
- Monitoring and advocacy for ongoing mental health and workplace concerns
Links for Medical Residents
- The Professional Association of Residents of Ontario (PARO)
- University of Ottawa: Faculty Wellness Program
- University of Toronto Resident Wellness
- Queen’s University: Resident Affairs
- McMaster University: Resident Affairs
- Northern Ontario School of Medicine (NOSM) - Learner Affairs
- Western University (UWO) - Learner Equity & Wellness
For more wellness resources please go to our Well-Being section.