For many medical students, gaining entry into medical training is an exhilarating first step towards a major life goal. However, medical training brings with it a new set of stressors, from long hours and mounting financial pressures to new expectations around professionalism. There are competing demands of studies, clerkship, and staying connected to family and friends, and some difficult first experiences with the setbacks and losses inherent to medical training.
The clinical staff at the PHP is acutely aware of the challenges facing medical students. The PHP is connected OMSA, staying current on issues affecting medical students and offering mental health and wellness support.
In addition to the PHP’s work with Ontario Medical Students Association (OMSA), we offer services directly to medical students. The confidential services are available to all medical students in Ontario. Clinical team members are available by phone during OMA business hours to answer questions and assist with a wide variety of concerns. The PHP can offer support in a number of ways including
- Prompt advice and support (callers may remain anonymous)
- Referrals for clinical services, with clinicians experienced in physician health
- A range assessment services
- Monitoring and advocacy for ongoing mental health and workplace concerns
Links for Medical Students
- Ontario Medical Students Association (OMSA)
- University of Ottawa- Student Affairs
- University of Toronto- Office of Health Professions Student Affairs
- Queens University- Student Affairs
- McMaster University- Student Affair
- Northern Ontario School of Medicine (NOSM
- Western University (UWO)- Learner Equity & Wellness
- University of Western Ontario – VITALS is a student run initiative to promote wellness in all years of undergraduate medical training. Centralizing campus and community resources, hosting workshops and raising awareness to support students in all the dimensions of wellness.
For more wellness resources please go to our Well-Being section.